A boot on the necks of America-hating liberals.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Obamapocalypse Bug-Out Vehicle

I acquired a new (to me) pickup the other day.  The truck is a 1970 Chevy long bed.  It's direly in need of a paint job, but it's not rusted out anywhere that can't be easily replaced.  Some new hoses, fluids, wires, belts, filters, gaskets, brakes, tires, brake booster, bulbs, shocks, lowered coil springs, and battery, along with either a new carburetor or carb rebuild should make it reliable enough to get me anywhere I need to go.  A lot of elbow grease, some paint, new fenders, trim, bumpers, mirrors, windshield, seat, and weather stripping will make it presentable.  In other words, I'm going to be replacing a lot of stuff.  It has some butt-ugly 15" rims on it, but I've already picked up a set of really nice 17" alloy Chevy wheels that came off a 2002 Tahoe, dirt cheap on Craigslist.  Maybe I'll keep the old rims to use in the winter and put some snow tires on them.  I don't think this beast is going to be the best thing in the snow without all the help it can get.  If I put a tonneau cover on it, I can store a half-ton of wood pellets in it for my stove and keep the rear end weighted down in the winter, thus killing two birds with one stone.



Okay, it doesn't have four-wheel-drive, but it's got a big bed, a trailer hitch, a 350 V-8, and a TH350 tranny.  With those, I ought to be able to get me to my friend BillyBob's house, or to my in-laws, or to some of my other country kinfolks when the Obamapocalypse comes.  What it really needs is a pedestal-mounted Ma Deuce.

BillyBob has been so gracious to allow me to domicile it at his place while we work on it and get it up to snuff.  He has a nice collection of '67-'72 body style Chevies and has forgotten more about them than I'll ever know.


No comments: